This is the place with the streetcar buses, but the windows look too narrow for our purposes.
Krewe of Mask Meeting May 19, 2018
In attendance: Ken Gordon
Approved theme for next year: “Mask Goes to the Movies”
Movie Titles taken for floats:
Who to thin or narrow the title float - spoke to Jack.
He and John are going to look at it.
Theme title will go on scroll “Mask goes to the
2. Kitty - NACEL students arrive in America about 1/2 week before school starts in August. Lutricia Driver wants to help work on their float. Length of time to do float work depends on how soon they can get their trailer which is owned by Cracker Barrel. Uncertain of amount of time beforehand they will have to work on it. Chris Price can help build it - retired now. Possibility of KOM buying a float for NACEL. Goose has a float in her backyard that is the size of the royal float that can be used for the NACEL float. The jack is broken but KOM has a replacement piece for it. American Education - another foreign exchange program has a head leader who can help with the NACEL float.
Peter is an advisor to sorority at LaGrange College - interested in putting in a float this year
Kitty had an idea to glue a doubloon for each parade year around the mask logo at the den.
3. Brass Band - Kurt Nicewander, a doctor Ken knew from New Orleans is a member of the Onward Brass Band which is a well established New Orleans band dating to the 1870’s . He is interested in having the band play in our parade. Kurt lives in California but the other 6-7 players are from N.O. The brass band would probably be put on the new streetcar float.
John and Ken meet with Barbie Watts next Friday. Will talk to her about logistics on boarding and how to obtain costs for boarding and travel. Marriott courtyard the most economical lodging in area. Would need about 4 rooms.
Kitty’s sister Veronica has an air BNB in Hapeville near the airport. Will hold about 7-8 people Kitty will inquire about it.
4. Membership - Places to increase memberships:
Table at Sweetland for Summer Movie Series
4th of July Parade
Hope Walk - last Saturday in September
Chilli Cook Off - last Saturday in October
5. Fund Raisers - Trisch Liechty working on raising funds according
to Goose. We are able to use her house for one
year at no cost (from KOM parade to next KOM
Need to have a charity - United Way in past. KOM
to decide percentage profit. Possible future
charities - GA. chapter of American Cancer
Society. “Hope for a Cure” Walk - Pam Herndon in
charge of. John to talk to Pam Monday May 28th
about having them as a charity.
Want to keep charity local. LSPA talked about.
Burn unit in Grady a possibility.
Goose to talk to Trisch Liechty about using her
house twice before next parade for fundraising.
The Cotillion Ball a good place to air wants. Have
Junior Cotillion now trying to get the High School
program. Their were about 100 parents and grand
parents in attendance at last cotillion. Charged $20
per lady at cotillion’s fashion show. They made their own appetizers. The BBQ made $3-$4 per person and used Hog Heaven. LCS uses the sloppy pig a little cheaper than Hog Heaven.
Walgreens has decent feathered masks for sale - can have people pay for having their picture taken in front of backdrop at Summer Movie program at Sweetland and for face painting.
6. Fourth of July -
RLS to make a wagon for KOM to put in parade.
“KOM celebrates the Fourth of July” LaGrange GA. Want an external KOM sign can take on and off wagon so can use every year.
7. Announcement of King and Queen to press on Saturday, September 22. Will take them out to dinner.
Jeremy has a woman at Troup County News for our contact since he has left the paper.
8. Widening Royal Float - Want King and Queen to ride side by side on Royal float. It needs to be reworked to widen so King and Queen can ride side by side. Need to take out the filigree on sides and put on a bigger platform. To make it wider must cut it down the middle. Also John will get tarps to cover it for the year.
9. Costumes - Kitty has access to a “Gone with the Wind” dress and a Bunny costume (Harvey). Goose, King’ and Queen need to get together to work on collars.
10. Doubloon Designs -
Front is done - KOM symbol
On back - want www.KOM.com
Title - “Mask goes to the Movies”
Clapboard with year of parade inside board
Design Contest at schools - Peter will talk to several teachers
Don’t need to use specific design
Can develop own timeline
Prize - Trophy & $20
Do presentation with Media around Sept
(present prize to child)
Independent panel to judge designs
Peter to talk to Art teachers - Harris
County & 2 teachers in Troup.
11. Merchandise night of parade - can do it in square
Don’t sell merchandise - request donation then don’t need
Need better lighting
12. Improvements from last parade -
Speed of drivers - John to talk to Rusty and Lynn’s son-in-law re:
keeping speed down
Did not send out information to each entry last year
This year 2019:
Assign Entrees a float number and a place on the map
Mandatory meeting of John and Ken 2 weeks before the parade
Jeeps must buy 2 cases of beads each
Need more volunteers to help Scott for assembly of parade
13. Management Crews
Peter to talk to the major about clean up crew and flag corp
14. Ken agenda to talk to Barbie about -
15. John & Ken
Check out sound systems 2 Fridays from now 5/19/18 in a sound system place in Fayetteville. Want them waterproof and wired.
16. Meetings will be held the 2nd Saturday of every month.
17. Two new trailers this upcoming 2019 year for -
Goose’s trailer for NACEL
18. Goose to get the name of the other float builder in Columbus
19. John to send Ken master list of members
The Krewe met on March 3, 2018 at the Den. Present were Michael Anderson, Peter Anderson, Cheri Anderson, Lutricia Driver, Goose Bordeaux, Jeannie Coker, Zack Atterberry, Jennifer Walker, Kitty Wooliscroft, John Cashen, Joe Harris, Katie Harris, Nate Harris, Emma Harris, Ken Gordon.
1) Debriefing on the parade 2018:
- Easter Bunny sneezed due to the costume
- Fire Truck - Easter Bunny might be able to ride if we give them 2 months notice and their ins. can be arranged.
- Lutricia has 30 students that may be helpful
- Jeramy Boom - Golf carts?
- Transportation: JC has a 5x8 trailer, GB has a trailer (Buddy can pull it).
- Transport from the parade to the party was delayed due to a late flight at LaGrange Airport.
- Solution? Next year, if transport is needed, ask Trish and Neal about the loan of a limo and driver.
- TV - discussed the problem of non-use of notes and why they could not be used.
1. Get lineup set and assigned 2 months before the parade. Send assignments a month before and a week before.
2. Twenty-five dollar registration fee for individual, not for profit, vehicles.
- Judging - Is it really needed for floats? High School units and LIM appear to enjoy the awards.
Kitty to look at the awards and see if tweaking the categories is needed. (categories for floats? - kw)
- Publicity - well - who can do this? What about the banners in town? Focus the art on the parade, route and date/time.
- Winery at 5 points might be amicable to hosting a party.
At present, we do NOT plan Krewe to sponsor a party on 2-23-2019.
- Cleanup Crew - needs to be second to last for safety.
- ROTC - requires no rear flashing lights for the lead police car (LPD can do if given notice).
- Stop awards? Change awards?
- First Entry award?
- Precision unit appreciated the award
- We had more units this year than last year.
2. Paid Members for 2019 - announced - one addition at the meeting.
3. POSSIBLE THEMES FOR 2019:
- Georgia festivals (Peach, Opossum, others)
- Krewe of Mask Goes to the Movies
- "O Captain, My Captain" (Kirk, Crunch, America, Nemo, etc)
- Candy-land / Bakery Explosion
- Time Machine
- Royalty and Nobility
- The Zodiac
- Music Through The Years
- Holidays Around the World
4. ROYALTY 2019:
- They have been selected by the nominating committee. They know who they are. Any people desiring royalty for 2020 should become involved in the Krewe.
- Incidental - Goose B will try and get PGG Gels for the fountain for next Mardi Gras.
- April 14 will be next KOM meeting at the Den. Final vote for Theme - votes only by paid Krewe members.
5. FIVE MINUTES ON BANDS:
- Lutricia informs us the USMC band will play and march!
- She will also try and get commitments from the Lafayette HS Band (approx 50 musicians and other marchers)
- Possibly Handly HS
- Joe Harris will contact LC about a band.
- Six band cap for now - tentative plan to line these units up at street level between Sweetland and N. Greenville.
6. NEW BUSINESS:
- Membership - GB will be sending out billing
- Name Tags - Kitty
- Fundraising Ideas - Kitty
- For or Not for Profit concepts discussed.
- President Carter Note
- KW desires more structure and an addenda prior to next meeting. Sounds like a good idea.
PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO SEND ME CORRECTIONS.
- Respectfully submitted - KG (updated 2018, March 5 at 1803 hrs)
The next meeting of members and prospective members of Krewe of Mask will be on 1 PM, Saturday, March 3, 2018.
The major topics of discussion are the 2018 parade, and a new theme for the 2019 parade.
The meeting will be at the secret Den of the Krewe of Mask which is known to most members.
If you need directions to the Den, please contact
Ken at Kgordon86@gmail.com or John at 706-333-6501.
2019 Paid Members - Krewe of Mask
To Re-Join or Join, please contact Captain John Cashen, Captain Ken Gordon or use the "Membership" tab (see above).
Checks with membership paperwork may be sent to:
Krewe of Mask, 222 Ashford Circle, LaGrange, GA, 30240
(updated 2-14-2018 kg)
Float policy for 2019 parade:
Marching Unit policy for 2019 Parade:
AWARDS - 2018 KREWE OF MASK PARADE
Best Costume from the crowd - Ms. Brooklyn Painter
Best Music - Title Float - Mythical Creatures (# 14)
Best Rhythm - LaGrange Internal Medicine (# 23)
Best Precision Unit - Troup High School Color-guard (# 1)
Best Float - The Kracken (# 26)
Best Pedestrian Unit - The Chinese Dragon ( # 17)
Most Fun Unit - The Viking Dragons (# 18)
Most Artistic Unit - Mythical Toys (# 38)
Most Imaginative Unit - Sweet Peas (# 35)
Best Automobile - 1930 Ford Phaeton by Pat Tyler (# 20)
Judges Choice - The Kracken (# 26)
Parade policy has not yet been finalized.
Units will be added in order for final lineup to step off on Feb 23, 2019.
A new numbering system will be employed to facilitate line-up and order in the parade.
0.1 Color Guard
0.2 Cowbellians de Rakin
1.0 KOM-1 Royal Float
2.0 KOM-2 Title Float
3.0 KOM-3 Currently titled "Midnight Masquerade"
4.0 KOM-4 Currently titled "Mythical Toys"
4.1 Cleanup Crew
We had a very good Parade and Party and for the first time, we were televised. We succeeded in bringing fun, Majesty and frivolity to the City of LaGrange. Congratulations to everyone involved. We all had a lot of fun and brought fun to thousands of people.
There were firsts: first full regalia for King and Queen (and they look spectacular!) first professional artwork (title float), first animation on a float, first outboard lights, first velcro float applications, first tableaux, first vikings, first pirates, first colored doubloons, first last minute bead sales.
Perhaps you have seen the LGTV broadcast. We attempted to correlate the information given to the Krewe and get it to the announcers, but certain things, mainly our launch order, prevented that information from being more widely broadcast. Mostly, the complex system that Co-Captain Ken devised theoretically would have had everyone going in order and having that information of sequential pages. In practice, we could not keep our crowd waiting for the few volunteers to assemble all units in order.
When we launched, the floats were in the right order, but little else was. The telecasters couldn't rifle through the notes on air, and for that I apologize.
Having given the issue some thought, I've elected to make some changes in the future so that launch is more orderly.
First, we will start a registration fee for each vehicle to help defray the costs of the magnetic signs. I'm thinking 25 dollars for Jeeps, Antique Autos and Golf Carts but that's not set in stone. That just gets people to commit and commit early enough to get the structure we need to get it all announced. Second, after the amount is determined, we will open the parade to the first 12 Antique cars and the first 12 Jeeps that submit a completed application. Third, we will issue individual passes to the staging area. That pass will have the parking place number and map to where that unit is supposed to be. Forth, we will line up pretty much in parade order, with floats arriving at 2 pm, and other vehicles arriving at 6 PM. Fifth, with trailers taking up extra space, golf carts will be limited to the first four to complete an application.
If you look at Sweetland's Parking lot, you can imagine the northernmost row having the first few units including the Royal float. You can think of the second row having some more units and then the title float. The third row having another float and so on. Rather than trying to see where "Unit 35" is, you'd know "I'm the third unit after the title float" for instance.
That would mean better press on your information submissions.
We'll be posting more as time goes on about float policy for 2019 and for marching organizations for 2019.
Happy Mardi Gras!
As of Jan 14, 2018 we have Four Krewe Floats including the Royal Float, the Title Float and two more Krewe floats of the line. We have three other floats which will be joining us. We also have antique cars (unknown total number) and about a dozen jeeps. We are firming up commitments from music groups and other marching units.
Our first lighted parade dresses / costumes will be on display and this year will be the first that the parade is televised.
A new category of award "BEST COSTUME FROM THE CROWD" will be awarded between 6:30 and 7 PM at the JUDGES STAND in front of LAGRANGE CITY HALL. The best family friendly costume will get that award.
Beads, doubloons, cups, stuffed animals, Kimble's chewies (a local answer to Mobile's famous Moon Pie) will be thrown. A good hint is to bring a bag to the parade because it's doubtful that your pockets will be enough for the goodies you should get.
Krewe Of Mask
Poobah of Mask, Dr. Kenneth Gordon