REPORT: MEETING FEB 8, 2014
KREWE OF MASK - Impromptu Meeting
Attending: Joe Harris, Katie Harris, Nate Harris, John Cashen, Cherly Twickler, Joel Beatty, Cheryl Gordon, Ken Gordon.
NEXT MEETING: SUNDAY, FEB 23, 2014
LOCATION: SAME PLACE (Contact one of us for details)
TASKS TO BE COMPLETED BEFORE NEXT MEETING:
Cheryl T: 1) Pricing on "Krew of Mask" Beads.
2) Illegible (help me out here?)
Katie: 1) Ask about 4th of July parade - maybe a vehicle entry.
Joe: 1) Storage Space for Float?
Joe + John: 1) Pricing on Trailers
Ken: 1) Pricing on Doubloons
2) Put out word of Krewe on neighborhood web site.
SUBSTANCE OF THE MEETING:
The discussion was rambling because it was just as much a social event as a meeting. Joel took notes and this is partly derived from his notes.
We discussed the party, but details of that are not reported here. Discussions regarding details of the recent successful party will be submitted, in writing whenever possible, to the Chairperson of the BTM committee. So far, Ken G and Cheryl T have detailed written observations. Details of the BTM party are the purview of TC and that committee. We raised glasses in a toast to Lisa, who is on St. Simon's Island enjoying things. :)
The time-tables for King and Queen will be updated on a separate post.
1) APPLICATIONS FOR KING/QUEEN: Relative to that, paper applications with application fees will be needed for a person to be eligible to run. if The application fee should be large enough to cover the cost of an admission.
Therefore, at the after-action meeting, we should ask for a preliminary figure on ticket costs for 2015.
2) PARADE DATE: Mardi Gras comes early next year. If the BTM party is 2 weeks before, do we want to parade 1 Saturday before Mardi Gras? What happens if we get rained out?
There seemed to be consensus that we could parade the Saturday after, even though it was properly out of season. Ken is still getting used to that idea. The alternative was scheduling 2 Saturdays before Mardi Gras but then, there more chance of cold weather.
3) ROUTE: It appears that LaGrange has a set route for parades starting at Granger Park, going up N. Greenwood, turning on Broad, Turning on Church, rounding the square, backtracking on Main / Ridley and turning back to Granger park on Highland. The route is shorter for the 4th of July parade rounding the square on three sides. Though it was not discussed in the meeting, we may want to start with the short route.
4) TIMING: Day or night parade? Presently, we plan a day parade. We could Tailgate / BBQ party from 8 'till 11 AM. Maybe we could get some food vendor trucks out there. We could also load floats and whatever. We'd "step off" (that's lingo for starting the parade) at 11 AM. Parade, come back and disband.
5) UNITS: Really, that's John C's specialty. Many kinds of units are possible: Vintage cars, Shriners, Bands, Horse Units, Costumed Pets unit (Like Krewe of Barcus), School Floats, Organization Floats, Police Units, Military Units and of course, the Fire Department at the end.
6) FLOAT SAFETY (preliminary):
A) All floats must have a sturdy rail, preferably 2x4 or similar strength at 32 inches from the deck, that must cover at least the front and sides of each float.
B) Each float must have a working fire extinguisher
C) Belts lanyards and D-ring connections were discussed.
D) Tires should be shielded from the riders by at least 1 foot.
E) We intend to set a standard for float safety that does not yet exist in LaGrange.
7) WALKING UNITS: Perhaps some groups may want to do this instead and concentrate on costume. Though it was not discussed in the meeting, we could teach about the etiquette of giving out paper carnations/flowers.
8) GRAND MARSHALL: A candidate was discussed. We're being cagey and won't say who. :)
9) FIRST FLOAT: It was resolved that a first, all purpose, Krewe of Mask float was desired. This would be a visible symbol of the parade to come. It could be used for advertising, recruiting and other parades. We stopped short of organizing the first cell of the organization because we still need to work out the grand plan of it all.
10) ORGANIZATION: This meeting was impromptu. It grew out of a request for comments about the BTM party. More organization is forthcoming. Please don't feel excluded if you weren't there. like I said, this was more an outgrowth of another meeting than anything. We just happened to discuss Krewe stuff because we can now focus on that instead of the party.
11) INTERESTED / POTENTIALLY INTERESTED PARTIES:
Kittie Wooliscroft (KW) (Contact KG)
Donna (Contact KW)
Lynn Morgan (Contact KG)
Ann Gentry (contact CT)
Bill and Wanda Lowe (Contact KG)
Charles Dauphin (Contact JC)
Mel and Ashley Stewart (Contact KG)
Chere and Peter Anderson (Contact KG)
Eric and Rebecca Mitchell (Contact CT)
Ron and DIanne Eickhoff (Contact KG)
Nancy and Ron Adam (Contact CT)
Colleen and Rich Vitale (Contact CT)
Roslyn Gabrille (Contact CG)
Joey Isaackson (Contact KG)
12) MARDI GRAS DAY, MARCH 4, 2014:
John and Ken at the very least are getting together to promote Mardi Gras on that day. We are hoping to set up on a local College's campus, if they agree, and hand out information about Mardi Gras and Krewe of Mask. Remember, a group of college students walking to downtown evolved into the Krewe of Tucks, so a college might be a very good place to interact with people.
Katie will be asking how to get permission to set up a table on campus.
13) URGENT PRIORITIES:
- tent and table, chairs
- beads for Mardi Gras day
- Krewe of Mask literature and application form
- Who's coming with us and when?
14) FEEDBACK, CORRECTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS: Please reply below. If desired, leave e-mail address and I can reply. I reserve the right to edit this blog to suit people's wishes.
Krewe Of Mask
Poobah of Mask, Dr. Kenneth Gordon
Krewe of Mask
Krewe of Mask
All materials copyright 2019, Krewe of Mask, LLC
Proudly powered by Weebly