Krewe of Mask Meeting May 19, 2018
In attendance: Ken Gordon
Approved theme for next year: “Mask Goes to the Movies”
Movie Titles taken for floats:
Who to thin or narrow the title float - spoke to Jack.
He and John are going to look at it.
Theme title will go on scroll “Mask goes to the
2. Kitty - NACEL students arrive in America about 1/2 week before school starts in August. Lutricia Driver wants to help work on their float. Length of time to do float work depends on how soon they can get their trailer which is owned by Cracker Barrel. Uncertain of amount of time beforehand they will have to work on it. Chris Price can help build it - retired now. Possibility of KOM buying a float for NACEL. Goose has a float in her backyard that is the size of the royal float that can be used for the NACEL float. The jack is broken but KOM has a replacement piece for it. American Education - another foreign exchange program has a head leader who can help with the NACEL float.
Peter is an advisor to sorority at LaGrange College - interested in putting in a float this year
Kitty had an idea to glue a doubloon for each parade year around the mask logo at the den.
3. Brass Band - Kurt Nicewander, a doctor Ken knew from New Orleans is a member of the Onward Brass Band which is a well established New Orleans band dating to the 1870’s . He is interested in having the band play in our parade. Kurt lives in California but the other 6-7 players are from N.O. The brass band would probably be put on the new streetcar float.
John and Ken meet with Barbie Watts next Friday. Will talk to her about logistics on boarding and how to obtain costs for boarding and travel. Marriott courtyard the most economical lodging in area. Would need about 4 rooms.
Kitty’s sister Veronica has an air BNB in Hapeville near the airport. Will hold about 7-8 people Kitty will inquire about it.
4. Membership - Places to increase memberships:
Table at Sweetland for Summer Movie Series
4th of July Parade
Hope Walk - last Saturday in September
Chilli Cook Off - last Saturday in October
5. Fund Raisers - Trisch Liechty working on raising funds according
to Goose. We are able to use her house for one
year at no cost (from KOM parade to next KOM
Need to have a charity - United Way in past. KOM
to decide percentage profit. Possible future
charities - GA. chapter of American Cancer
Society. “Hope for a Cure” Walk - Pam Herndon in
charge of. John to talk to Pam Monday May 28th
about having them as a charity.
Want to keep charity local. LSPA talked about.
Burn unit in Grady a possibility.
Goose to talk to Trisch Liechty about using her
house twice before next parade for fundraising.
The Cotillion Ball a good place to air wants. Have
Junior Cotillion now trying to get the High School
program. Their were about 100 parents and grand
parents in attendance at last cotillion. Charged $20
per lady at cotillion’s fashion show. They made their own appetizers. The BBQ made $3-$4 per person and used Hog Heaven. LCS uses the sloppy pig a little cheaper than Hog Heaven.
Walgreens has decent feathered masks for sale - can have people pay for having their picture taken in front of backdrop at Summer Movie program at Sweetland and for face painting.
6. Fourth of July -
RLS to make a wagon for KOM to put in parade.
“KOM celebrates the Fourth of July” LaGrange GA. Want an external KOM sign can take on and off wagon so can use every year.
7. Announcement of King and Queen to press on Saturday, September 22. Will take them out to dinner.
Jeremy has a woman at Troup County News for our contact since he has left the paper.
8. Widening Royal Float - Want King and Queen to ride side by side on Royal float. It needs to be reworked to widen so King and Queen can ride side by side. Need to take out the filigree on sides and put on a bigger platform. To make it wider must cut it down the middle. Also John will get tarps to cover it for the year.
9. Costumes - Kitty has access to a “Gone with the Wind” dress and a Bunny costume (Harvey). Goose, King’ and Queen need to get together to work on collars.
10. Doubloon Designs -
Front is done - KOM symbol
On back - want www.KOM.com
Title - “Mask goes to the Movies”
Clapboard with year of parade inside board
Design Contest at schools - Peter will talk to several teachers
Don’t need to use specific design
Can develop own timeline
Prize - Trophy & $20
Do presentation with Media around Sept
(present prize to child)
Independent panel to judge designs
Peter to talk to Art teachers - Harris
County & 2 teachers in Troup.
11. Merchandise night of parade - can do it in square
Don’t sell merchandise - request donation then don’t need
Need better lighting
12. Improvements from last parade -
Speed of drivers - John to talk to Rusty and Lynn’s son-in-law re:
keeping speed down
Did not send out information to each entry last year
This year 2019:
Assign Entrees a float number and a place on the map
Mandatory meeting of John and Ken 2 weeks before the parade
Jeeps must buy 2 cases of beads each
Need more volunteers to help Scott for assembly of parade
13. Management Crews
Peter to talk to the major about clean up crew and flag corp
14. Ken agenda to talk to Barbie about -
15. John & Ken
Check out sound systems 2 Fridays from now 5/19/18 in a sound system place in Fayetteville. Want them waterproof and wired.
16. Meetings will be held the 2nd Saturday of every month.
17. Two new trailers this upcoming 2019 year for -
Goose’s trailer for NACEL
18. Goose to get the name of the other float builder in Columbus
19. John to send Ken master list of members
Krewe Of Mask
Poobah of Mask, Dr. Kenneth Gordon
Krewe of Mask
Krewe of Mask
All materials copyright 2019, Krewe of Mask, LLC
Proudly powered by Weebly